Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Whose Bright Idea was it to...

Some basic questions about television as of today as opposed to yesteryear. Remember when you used to watch television and actually enjoy it. What has gone wrong? When did all these marathons of tv shows come from? Everybody Loves Raymond, House, Psych, Fresh Prince etc. all have been done to death because of these marathons. All day, everyday a lot of these channels just show marathons. Is that just lazy programming or do they not have anything to show? This blog will highlight some of the "bright ideas" that a lot of these tv executives and tv channels have done over the years causing a lot of people to change there viewing habits. Here we go:

Whose bright idea was it to:1) Crunch the end credits at the end. Instead of hearing a tv closing theme song, we get another plug for a show, they've plugged already during the show you were watching!!! I mean you watch a network for an hour or two straight and you literally hear the same promos and plugs for a show after every commerical break. I mean some of tv's great theme songs have been butchered for endless promos for no reason at all. I mean its not like we are living in the stone age. I think people can find where there programming is. This is 2012 and not 1982.

2) Start shows off the clock. Instead of 6 pm, they start 6:15 pm etc. TV Land does this a lot. Now TBS used to do this. Growing up, TBS was really the only channel to do this and after a while you get used to it. I got used to it when they started shows at the top of the hour.If TV Land is going to do this at least SAY your going to do it. At 6 pm, if I flip on TV Land I want to see the beginning of an episode, not the very end. TV Land is really the worst. They start shows all crazy times. Ex. a show may start at 6:53 pm and end at 7:27 pm. What kind of programming is that? TV Land never, never did this before and people liked it. Why did they start this? What's sad is that its not going to stop anytime soon.

3) Create an abundance of Reality TV shows. I mean I watch the occasional reality show but now theres way too many. Believe it or not, I actually watch The Kardashians(thats another story as to why I watch them), The Real World etc. I'm not saying there are not some halfway decent reality shows but they are few and far in between.They are killing Game shows, westerns, soap operas and everything else because Reality TV is taking there spots. Im not saying there isnt a market for it but not at the expense of soap operas, game shows etc., that people have enjoyed for years and even decades.

4) Pop Up Ads during shows. I mean your watching a show and all of a sudden an ad for a show comes on. Its very annoying. And some of them, believe it or not make noise!! The promos actually make noise now!!! How annoying is that???!! You cant even watch a tv show anymore without hearing or seeing pop-up ads. Like I care what time a show is. If I'm a fan of the show, I KNOW what time the show is. Or a novel idea is to actually look it up. Not only that, but some of the promos take up part of the screen of a show your trying to watch.

Sadly, the 4 reasons I mentioned above are why people are changing there viewing habits. There the reason why people hate television right now. These tv executives "bright ideas" are destroying television. What's even worse is that I wouldn't expect anything less.

No comments: