Thursday, January 14, 2016

MTV's The Real World, Really??




Forgive me. I came into this late in the game. Back in 1992, MTV's The Real World broke ground. It was television's first reality show. Now, granted, if anybody know some of the back story and the history, the show got off to a sluggish start. I mean who wants to watch a show that have people just talking?? Well, thanks to the grossness of Season 2 San Francisco member, Puck and the courage of Pedro battling HIV,  it seemed like The Real World turned a corner. Now, over the years, despite the sexual content and the hookups, The Real World did give you a first look at all different issues that people were dealing with. Being in the Military, being Gay, Politics, Religion, AIDS, Racism etc.



But now I think the Real World has jumped the shark or maybe it already did. Now, based on this article from mtv.com: http://www.mtv.com/news/2724109/real-world-go-big-or-go-home-twist/?xrs=_s.tw_main  it seems like they are adding a different twist. It seems like they are combining The Real World with Road Rules as far as doing different stunts. If they cant complete each stunt, they are eliminated and somebody else takes there place. Frankly, I dont think this is needed. You already have The Challenge why change The Real World.



Now I must say for years, I railed on The Real World and hated it. I always felt like what was shown on TV wasnt real as opposed to somebody's real life. I just felt like the hookups and living in a nice area and drinking and partying and  having all the pretty people wasnt neccesarily "The Real World." Staying home, paying the mortgage, paying the bills etc. is what I thought of. Nevertheless, being bored one night, I watched The Real World, San Diego, want to say it was in 2004.  Then I watched it again, and again and again. And you know it wasnt a bad show.




Over the past few years, I havent watched. The Explosions and The Skeletons seasons was uncessary. I mean why tweak something that has worked for years? Ok, will The Real World be water cooler talk like it was 20 years ago? Probably not. But what show is? Look at American Idol. They are limping home. Look at Survivor. Still a hit but not the mega hit it was 15 years ago. I dont think a show like The Real World needs tinkering. I think its find the way it is. And besides, why tinker a show called "THE REAL WORLD?"" I mean if thats the case, wouldnt we all want to tinker our real world's??

No comments: