Sunday, December 9, 2007

Where's the Vintage TV?

Can somebody please tell me something? Where is all the old sports programming? I mean I have ESPNClassic, CSTV, NFL Network etc. and I can't find a decent game. Now, you must be saying their are classic games all the time. That's true- but have you ever sat through one of those games. First off, they water down the show into a two hour format. If a game is 3 hrs. they skip plays. Think about this, your watching a classic game and they skip plays. That's ludicrous because you want to watch the whole game. Second, not only do they skip plays, they skip the openings or the intros the game, halftime, postgame. THAT'S PART OF THE GAME. People say well, it's too expensive. These networks are not bleeding for money. They make tons of cash. Third, when the networks do show a game, they actually have their own opening. I mean they have to tell you about the game. How do expect a game to flow when you skip plays, skip pre and post game, introductions and have their own specific opening all in usually 2 hrs? I, personally, would rather watch a classic game done right instead of something over and over again.
What do you mean by a classic game done right? I'm talking about a classic game with a pre and post game show, halftime, intros., the full game. If the full game takes 31/2 hrs. so be it. It's better than having a 2hr. game and then have something that you've seen 5 times already.
I should point out that the NFL Network did and will show classic SuperBowl games. They did that in Jan. tying in with the Super Bowl but that's it. I mean all these sports and networks talk about the greats like Montana, Bradshaw, Namath, Gretsky, Hull and yet if you weren't born how are you suppose to know how great they are. I wasn't even born when Bradshaw won his 1st SuperBowl much less his 4th but how am I suppose to know how great he is. I could give you examples in all major sports. We have to preserve our sports history. I hope some people agree with me. We have to save our sports.

1 comment:

Ben Masters said...

I have a DVD release of the Oklahoma Sooners Greatest Games from A&E (it's a 5-disc release), and there are good and bad things about that, especially WRT the 1987 Red River Rivalry from the Cotton Bowl in Dallas between Oklahoma and Texas.

One of the best things is that, 5 times during the game, there were cut-ins from Jim Nantz regarding the scores of other games (Jim was the college football studio presenter then for CBS), and to A&E's credit, these were kept, all of them; 3 of them were branded as "College Football Report Update"s, and on the other 2, I actually got to see Jim in CBS Studio 43 in NYC. Another good thing is that the full pregame segment was included (opening, sponsor bumper, everything), as well as the postgame (short as it was). Those were the good things.

Unfortunately, as good as those aspects were, they didn't go far enough; I for one would have loved to see more of Jim, especially in his role on "The Prudential College Football Report"; that would have been a worthy bonus feature.

WRT what I said, A&E's treatment of that '87 Red River Rivalry on the Sooners DVD release far, far outpaces WB's treatment of the '85 Chicago Bears Super Bowl season on their 12-game release of the same. While it was good from the standpoint of being able to enjoy what the NFL on CBS was like then (not to mention "MNF" and SBXX, from ABC and NBC respectively), it was, for the most part, just the games; no halftime, pregame, postgame, or even in-game updates. The last two discs, however, do have some postgame material, with SBXX having almost 5 min. worth.

Here's a montage I put up on YouTube from that Oklahoma Sooners DVD release; here you can see what I mentioned earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o74fhGx4zFE